Even though Israel’s focus since October 7, and rightly so, is defeating Hamas, the greater threat to the people of Israel by far is from Hezbollah in the North which has necessitated the forced exile of thousands of residents and requires the permanent stationing of 100,000 troops.
Nasrallah, that vermin, proudly claimed this in his speech yesterday as their contribution to the Hamas’ fight in Gaza. Unfortunately, this is true. While Nasrallah does not have the backing of Beirut to go into an all-out war with Israel, we don’t see any other option that will get our country back to its rightful borders.
Today Hezbollah fired 40 rockets at the Galilee, aiming for Meron, where it claims the planes took off for the successful operation which put arch terrorist al-Arouri into hell where he belongs. Not since the war of independence have communities in the North been evacuated. The decision was taken on a very ad-hoc basis, in which the mayors basically told people to evacuate, and the government reluctantly agreed after the fact. Was it the right decision? Only time will tell.
Already, displaced residents have been given a two-month extension on their stay in temporary quarters like hotels. But most of them are fed up and want to go home. Residents of Shlomi, the largest town after Kiryat Shmoneh in the North, had an anti-tank missile fall just outside one of its older neighborhoods on Tuesday. Journalist Chen Biyar of Makor Rishon reported one resident still there said: “We have the noise of shooting every day. But in this case I realized it wasn’t our troops and that the missile fell nearby. There was no warning siren, and it terrified even people here who are used to these sounds.” Thankfully, aside from a cat in shock that needed a veterinarian, everyone emerged unscathed physically.
But how long can this go on? Israelis want Hezbollah removed beyond the Litani River, which was a U.N. resolution, by the way. Meaningless if it isn’t enforced.
Israel’s Ministry of Aliyah, Absorption and the Diaspora released a report on Wednesday about the worldwide explosion of antisemitism:
“Globally, it appears that in the first three weeks of the war (October 7-25, 2023), there has been a 500% increase in the overall volume of antisemitic events compared to the same period last year. About a third of all antisemitic events were recorded in the United States, mainly in areas with a Jewish population, particularly areas like New York, Florida, Chicago, and California—where many antisemitic activities were also recorded in universities and colleges. Other notable countries in this regard are Germany, France, and the U.K. Within this framework, there has also been a significant 330% increase in violent antisemitic incidents. Alongside this, there was an increase of about 128% in desecration of Jewish places such as cemeteries, about 660% in harassments, and about 300% in threats and the dangers it poses to Jews all over the world.”
According to the Ministry’s report, every 80 seconds there is an antisemitic incident in the world. In the U.S. alone, 400 Jewish institutions have received bomb threats, a 540% increase from 2022. In Toronto, antisemitic incidents rose 211 percent. In London they’re up 162 percent. In France, the number of requests from people wanting to move to Israel is up 430 percent since the beginning of the war. People are reportedly taking down their mezuzahs, hiding their Jewish symbols, and avoiding Jewish school and places of worship. There is fear and anxiety among Jews everywhere.
“Regarding online antisemitic discourse, research on a few social networks (October 7-23) recorded an increase of around 400% compared to the 17 days preceding the war, and around 340% compared to the same dates in the previous month. These numbers are much higher compared to previous military operations, such as ‘Guardian of the Walls,’ where online antisemitism increased by about 230%, and ‘Black Belt’ (about 30%). It should be noted that the peak of antisemitic discourse was recorded in the first days of the war, and since then the trend has been relatively stable.”
The fight against antisemitism has received zero budget from the government. A private initiative founded by Tomer Aldubi called Fighting Online Antisemitism, has managed to recruit 3,000 volunteers from all over the world, and has been able to make significant inroads in reducing online antisemitism by 6 percent. If you are interested in volunteering, click here.
To all my readers, we are in this together. Stay safe. We are all on the front lines.